To new artists, when first encountered, this term can be quite confusing. What does it mean? How will I know what is a complementary colour?
There is a clear explanation for the phrase.
- In art terms, Complementary is another way of saying 'opposing'.
- Two opposing colours allow each one to be made more clear or more dominant.
- Each opposing colour 'zings' against the other, highlighting both.
- Complementary colours follow the following basic pattern:-
- Red/Green, Blue/Orange and Purple/yellow.
- All shades in between follow the basic principle.
Paul Bonnie-Kent is using the principle here to good effect.